If you are suffering from heartburn and/or Indigestion, you can try relieving your symptoms with a fast treatment from the Gaviscon range. Check out our product recommender to find the product that best suits your particular symptoms.
If you are repeatedly suffering, you can also make some lifestyle and diet changes to help reduce the triggers.
- Keep your weight in check
- Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day
- Take your time eating - chew every mouthful slowly
- Avoid spicy, acidic and fatty food
- Sit up straight when you eat
- Loosen clothes or belts that are too tight
- Don't eat late, or on the run
- If you are prone to night time symptoms, elevate your bed head slightly
- Cut down on alcohol, caffeine and fizzy drinks
Many people can identify the triggers for their symptoms and take action accordingly. However, if symptoms become severe or prolonged, or if you are suffering from any of the symptoms below, you should consult a doctor or pharmacist.
- Symptoms developing for the first time in mid or later life
- Symptoms persisting for more than 7 days
- Abdominal pain before or after meals
- Persistent feeling of fullness, bloating or flatulence
- Nausea or vomiting - particularly if it has bright red blood or dark brown bits in it
- Pain or difficulty in swallowing
- On-going loss of appetite/continued unexplained weight loss
- Persistent diarrhoea, constipation or any alteration in bowel habit
- Change in stools (bowel motions) especially if they become black, dark red, pale or contain mucus (slime)
- Bleeding or pain when you pass a stool
- Generally feeling tired, lethargic or unwell in association with any abdominal symptoms
These medicines contain small amounts of calcium and sodium. If you have been advised a diet restricted in either of these, and/or you have suffered from kidney or heart disease, please consult your doctor before taking any medicine.